I’ve been living on campus the past summer in the same room for the Spring 2013 semester and I will still be here in the Fall 2013-Spring 2014 semesters! It’s awesome seeing all the new faces on campus. You know I’ll be hounding them at the UIC Involvement Fair to join my pre-medical organization when I’m on east side and to join UIC Green Labs Committee when I’m on west side! I feel unprepared for school, but at the same time I am totally ready to do my best at everything that I’ve got going this year.
I added the New Student Days events for freshmen and new transfer students to the Housing calendar I made last month. I still have to add things for September, so feel free to suggest anything UIC students should check out!
When my roommate moved in, I figured it’d be better if I didn’t return until after she got acquainted and completely got her stuff in our space, so I decided to go to the city with my friend Alaina (she works at the Graphics Department with me at Campus Housing) because she wanted to purchase some hair spray bottles at Sally Beauty. We got off on the Red Line at Monroe and saw a fancy Target!
We got to Sally Beauty and purchased the spray bottles and then came out to walk towards Millennium Park. I saw a stand for Divvy bikes and was reminded that we wanted to go and ride them before school started! We weren’t sure how it worked so we first walked past it and went to listen to some jazz being played at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion. We decided to go search for another Divvy bike rack and after a lot of frustration and then finally figuring out how it worked, we went on our adventurous bike ride!
We went everywhere! From Millennium Park all the way to Roosevelt Road and back to MRH where I got to shower and see my roommate. My legs were so sore the next day and I slept in for an hour or two before going to research to do qPCR.
I hope I can make time to go on another Divvy bike ride before the frosty winter weather comes our way. I probably can’t, but hey who knows!
Anyway, a brief To-Do/Event list for me in case you were wondering what’s going on:
- Scribe University: September 5 – 9. I got a job offer to be a Scribe at Rush University Medical Center and I am totally excited to do my training soon! I have to miss class (I have only missed like one class at UIC) to be at the training that will be conducted in Fort Worth, Texas. I emailed all of my professors to let them know and see if I can make up what I miss. I hate missing class, but this kind of opportunity doesn’t come all that often!
- Spark in the Park: September 5. I have to miss Kendrick Lamar since I’ll be in Texas, but hopefully someone else can tell me how the concert was!!!
- Writing Center Opens: September 6. Make some appointments soon before they’re all filled! We help you with ANYTHING!
- SFP Induction: September 9. I get to meet all of the new SFP members and share with them what is ahead in their pre-medical careers.
- Fulbright Deadline: September 13. I need to get my finalized drafts and all that jazz in soon! >__<
On top of those most pressing things, I have my usual research stuff and classes/studying to do. I haven’t made my MCAT restudying schedule yet, but for now I’m waiting for my Berkeley Review books to arrive at my home in the suburbs (I should have just sent it to MRH, but oh well).
Thank you so much to all of my readers! I am excited for my last year at UIC (unless I get into UIC’s medical school, then maybe they’ll let me keep blogging, hehe). I don’t get notifications when people comment on my blog, so I’ll be going through all of my posts to respond to people sometime soon…(classwork and other obligations tend to pile up like crazy though). It’s so great to be back at school, UIC!